Identify strategies and priorities to promote to promote the philosophy and practice of work-integrated learning in our region.
Meetings will be convened on a regular and/or an as-needed basis, in person or by teleconference
Khairunnisa Ali (KPU)
David Yuen, UBC
Stephanie Greaves (SFU)
Sean Padley, Langara
The External Relations committee (ERC) had four, then three members in 2017/2018, with Muriel Klemetski stepped down as the former Chair last Spring. Sean Padley from Langara stepped down as a contributing member last summer. Thank you to Sean for his contributions in making connections to the Board of Trade and getting a student from Langara to work on the current Coop video that is on the new ACE website. Stephanie Greaves joined as Co-chair this past year and has been amazing; actively contributing her communications expertise and organizational skills to our mandate. We must wish her a sad farewell, as she is wrapping up end of April. The ERC has monthly phone meetings to update on activities.
The main priorities in 2018 have been:
• Promotion of ACE to the external community including Vancouver Board of Trade, Small Business BC, Surrey Board of Trade, BCIC and BCTIA
• ACE Booth for BC Tech Summit—ACE has been offered a 15 minute presentation at Tech Summit for Co-op thanks to David—Volunteers from multiple ACE schools are attending May 15th and 16th and Heather found a representative to attend the coffee chat session given to speak about ACE.
• David Yuen took lead on coordinating ACE Booth at summit. May 15th and 16th.
• Khairunnisa, Stephanie and Heather Workman liaised with the BCTIA for the Co-op Collision Day, including promoting registration to schools. Numerous ACE representatives attended the event hosted at BCTIA’s offices on Great Northern Way on Feb 27th with the ERC having an ACE Booth. About 100-150 of 400 registered students attended-making it a success from all sides. BCTIA is looking to have this event again. All employers at this event had at least 1 or more summer Co-op opportunities available.
• ACE committee continued to promote BCIC Co-op grant through email reminders and SWELP funding was investigated and is on-going. Promotion of ACE to the External Community
• ERC has some ACE postcards that will be distributed at key outreach events throughout the year (BCTIA Co-op Collision Day and Tech Summit) New ones being held off due to possible name change.
• If any members are attending events and would like postcards, the ERC can send these to the member(s)
• If any members know of events where an ACE presence would be valuable, please have them contact the ERC and we will do our best to attend (or send information) ACE BC/YUKON ANNUAL REPORT 2017/2018 18 Promotion of BCIC Techworks Grant/SWILP
• Promotion of BCIC Techworks Co-op grant, following BCTIA event, sent through Heather. Retroactive grants still considered and applications also open for summer. Please continue to promote this.
• Testimonials from ACE ERC from a few grant recipient employers compiled and sent for website update
Questions from ERC for the ACE Board of Directors: 1. We are looking for additional members for our committee, as we are down to 2.